How much time do you spend in your email every day?
This study suggests that it’s 28% of your day – or around 2.6 hours.
By default, Gmail is gray, white, black, with a splash of red and blue. Hardly the most inspiring of looks is it?
Here are two ways you can change the background of your Gmail theme to make it that little more personal.
Changing the Default Background Theme in Gmail
1. After opening up your Gmail account, head over to the Settings option. This can be found in the top right-hand corner.
2. From there, choose Themes from the right-hand side.
3. You’ll now see a selection of images you can choose as your new background. If nothing immediately jumps out at you, click the More Images option at the bottom.
It’s worth noting that when going through the themes, selecting one gives you a preview of how it would look. This is particularly useful if you’ve customized your inbox with labels and color-coding.
4. Click Save.
5. You should now be able to see your inspiring new background.
If you’re feeling lucky, scroll all the way down the Pick Your Theme window and choose the Random image option. Be warned, though – not all images are created equal, and some can actually distract you from your work rather than help.
If you’re after something a little more personal, you can also add your own photos and use them as your background.
Upload the images you may want to use as a background to Google Photos, and then follow the steps below.
Changing the Gmail Background for a Custom Theme
1. Click the Settings cog in the top right-hand corner.
2. Select Themes (as in the first set of steps).
3. At the bottom of the Pick Your Theme window, you should see a My Photos option. Click that.
4. If you’ve uploaded images or photos to Google Photos, you should now be able to select one to use as your background.
5. Choose the image you want to use and then press the Select button.
6. You should now see your personalized background live in Gmail.
When you spend a quarter of your work time with head buried in emails, having a Gmail background that reflects your personality or reminds you of something special can make your inbox productive and fun.